Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pictures of buildings and other happenings

Short post.  I went riding around on my bike yesterday.  I rode up to campus to see how long it would take.  Then I rode around campus just exploring.  Let me tell you something.  This. place. is. huge.  It is probably 3 times bigger than BYU's campus.  And all the buildings look so historic...like they've been there a hundred years.  It's like every college campus you've ever seen in any movie.

Anyway, I took a couple pictures with my phone.  This is the hospital.  The lecture halls and labs and classrooms are all on the backside of what you see here.
There is a whole wing just out of frame to the right that you can't see that is just as big, if not bigger, than what you see here.

Then, just across the street, there is the cancer center/level I trauma center.
This building is huge too.  I'm not sure how much I'll be able to work in this place, but it would be very cool if I did.  It's pretty new and gets all sorts of trauma patients from the entire region.

Then, last night, I ate dinner with a couple from church.  Crazy story.  I was sitting in Sunday School and there was this guy on the other side of the class that I swore I knew from somewhere.  But, I'm more than 2,000 miles away from anywhere I have ever lived, so how could I know somebody here?  But I'm really, really good with faces, so I knew that I had seen him before but couldn't quite figure out where.  Then his wife came in and I knew for sure that I knew them from somewhere.  I went up to them after class and said, "I know you."  He said I looked familiar too.  Found out they had gone to BYU but none of our classes overlapped.  Then he ran through all the wards they had been in.  Turns out they were in our same ward when Becky and I were newlyweds.  That, in fact, was their last ward in Provo before they moved here 5 years ago to pursue post-grad stuff.  How cool is that?  The world is so small, especially in the Church.  Well, they invited me over for dinner and fed me pizza.  They were able to give me the run-down on life in Gainesville and how to make the transition a little easier.  I feel like I've moved to an entirely different country, so it was nice to see a familiar face so far from home.

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing! I can hardly imagine a campus that big. I'm super excited for you to start classes. Miss you at work!

    ReplyDelete